Dynasty Tour: 1979
End Date: December 16, 1979
Countries: Canada, U.S.A,
Opening Acts: Breathless, Cheap Trick, Eli, John Cougar & The Zone, Jon Butcher Axis, Judas Priest, Loverboy, Michael Stanley Band, Nantucket, New England, Rockets, Sweet, Whiteface
Average Attendance: 10,523
Line Up: Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, Peter Criss
The Dynasty stage supposedly cost 1 million to produce and was until than one of the biggest shows ever to be build.
Many effects and ideas were created for the Dynasty tour, many were scrapped:
- Laser Light Curtain - This effect consisted of vertical laser beams running between the stage and the truss, with one meter apart of each beam, it was only used once at the first show of the tour but the audience only saw a blue haze, the laser equipment was returned to be repaired but was never seen again. The manufactures later sued the KISS company for non-payment .
- Inflatable KISS Logo - A twenty foot high inflatable KISS logo, it was to be build by the same people who made the inflatable furniture for the KISS suite in the KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park movie.
- Animated Sam The Serpent - Sam The Serpent was to be brought alive through animations. Glowing eyes, snarling and bearing his teeth, flapping his wings and breathing fire just like Gene.
- Illuminated Drum Sticks - Peter was to get drum sticks with a neon effect, each of 1 diameter by two feet long. Obviously scrapped because of the costs, each pair of sticks would approximately cost $6,000,0!
- Animated Lion - Another effect for Peter, a animated lion, like the onces you would see in theme parks and movies later on in the years, it was to be life like, even so far that people who had backstage passes would believe they where carrying a real life lion with all the tight backstage security planned around it.
- Sparks From Hand - A effect for Ace, he would shoot sparks out of his hands through a small metal box, this effect eventually morphed into the sparks he would shoot out of the neck of his guitar together with the rocket.
- Extended Fire Effect - A effect for Gene, after Gene would breath fire like he would do normally, after he would stick the fire digger into its stand and Gene would stand back and he would be engulfed in flames, several things could have happen, a ball of flames that would move and Gene would appear on the other side of the stage, Gene could rise up from the stage, or the flames would diminish and turn into smoke and Gene would step forward out of the smoke.
- Laser Beam Eye - A effect for Paul, he would wear a device that would emit a laser beam out of his starry eye, just like the effect in the Phantom movie, this was scrapped because it was to dangerous for Paul himself and the audience. ( This effect would eventually be used by the German metal band Rammstein).
- Lightning Emitting Guitar - A effect for Paul, a laser beam would shine down from the light truss and Paul would hold his guitar up to the beam, and it would break the laser beam into many more laser beams.
- Magic Tricks - Various magic tricks were brainstormed to be used during the show, like Peter entering a empty animal cage, a flash from Gene, a gesture from Ace and poof, Peter would have been transformed into a real life lion or tiger. A magic trick like many magicians perform on stage. Another effect would have been the band would disappear into thin air after a song or 'de-materialize' like in Star Trek through the use of four tubes that would be hoisted down from the lighting truss.
The Dynasty Tour book saw four versions, the first one (left) was sold at the very beginning of the tour. Totally different wrap-around cover. Includes tour-dates, which are completely different than they actually were. They were about to play two shows in most cities, at Madison Square Garden even 5 shows! They soon realized, that the tour wasn't gonna be as huge as they thought it would be, so all the tour-dates got rescheduled. Since the tour has not yet begun when the tour book was printed, there are no live-shots in this very first printing of the tour-book. Just like the first regular tour/book (right one). The major difference to the other Dynasty tour-books is the front-cover, the back-cover and the listing of the tour-dates. The credits page is also slightly different. This is by far the most sought after and most expensive tourbook! (info from kissfanshop.de)
- Fire engine lights
- Hydraulic drum riser
- Blood spitting
- Fire breathing
- Big KISS Logo
- Smoking, flying guitar
- Lighted and rocket shooting guitar
- Confetti storm
- Firehouse fire helmet
- 1 million dollar stage
- Various pyrotechnics
- Gene flying to rafters
- Giant disco ball with KISS sponges
- Paul smashing guitar